- Asked, "You have 6 balls and get 2 more. How many in all?" counts out 6 balls, then adds 2, then counts all 8.
- (join, result unknown problem)
- Asked, "You have 2 red balls and 3 blue balls. How many in all?" counts out 2 red, then counts out 3 blue, then counts all 5.
- (part-part-whole, whole unknown problem)
- Asked, "You have 5 balls and give 2 to Tom. How many do you have left?" counts out 5 balls, then takes away 2, and then counts remaining 3.
- (separate, result unknown problem)
Help your student become a(n) Find Result +/-
These activities challenge children to solve problems where the result is unknown ("typical" addition and subtraction situations such as 3 + 6 = _ or 9 - 3 = _ ) using objects, including fingers, and counting all.